Fighters in a ball, and even in jars, are unfortunately a very common sight. You can find them in most pet stores. It seems natural to many people to keep these fish in such conditions. Meanwhile, fighters need aquarium tanks, proper nutrition and care. Check out what is worth knowing about these amazing creatures. Get to know the Siamese fighter closer and see if you are also captivated by its beauty!
Fighters fish – where do they come from?
Fighters come from the Indochina Peninsula, but can be found throughout Southeast Asia. Sometimes they are also found in the American state of Florida.
These fish inhabit still waters and feel best in very calm and well-overgrown reservoirs. You will find them in ponds, but also in backwaters in paddy fields and in small ponds.
Fighters – appearance
These fish come in almost countless and very beautiful color variations. Their fins are large, stately and definitely larger than those of wild fish. What are the most popular fighters colors? There can be many colors. Common varieties include:
- with a double tail.
As you can see, the shades are intense, so apart from blue, there may also be a purple fighter. Among the breeding varieties, the black siamese fighting fish and even the albino also appeared.
Male fighters and female fighters
There is a very pronounced sexual dimorphism in this species. This means that male fighters and female fighters can be distinguished at first glance. The former have much more impressive fins and are usually also slightly more colored.
Interestingly, in some situations, the female fighter can change gender. In nature, this only happens under very difficult circumstances. How is this process going?
- After physiological changes, fish that were previously female are able to participate in reproduction.
- At the same time, the testicles appear in the place of her ovaries and the fins become more magnificent.
- The fish begins to show aggressive behavior towards other males.
Siamese fighting fish – fish with a fighting character
Fighters are famous for their brave disposition. Males of this species are indeed very territorial and do not tolerate the presence of a rival in their aquarium very well. However, a lot depends on how big the tank is. Do you have a several hundred-liter aquarium, densely planted with plants? There is no obstacle to keeping more than one male in it.
Can militants live with other fish?
It is believed that the animals described must live alone. This is due to the belligerent nature of these fish, which often engage in fights with other representatives of their species. Clashes sometimes end in serious wounds and tearing fins.
Does this mean that the fighters have to live in the aquarium alone? Fortunately not. You can arrange them both a species and a social aquarium. Here are the basic tips.
What fish to choose for an aquarium with fighters?
- These fish feel comfortable in the company of species with a calm disposition. If you decide to have a social aquarium, choose fish that are smaller than the fish for the stocking. Larger ones can intimidate him.
- In a species aquarium it is best to complete the cast according to the recipe – one male and two three females. Holding a pair of fighters may end up with the male tormenting the female with his courtship. In turn, there will be fights in the larger group of males.
The fighter’s aquarium – what should it look like?
Aquarium capacity for a fighter
The image of a fighter in a ball or a small container can be put between fairy tales. The minimum tank size for this species is 10 liters. You must remember that the smaller the aquarium, the faster it becomes contaminated with toxic ammonia. In small containers, you also need to treat the water more often. That is why it is worth choosing a tank with a capacity of 20 to 54 liters. Of course, there are no obstacles to providing the fish with even more space.
How to arrange an aquarium for a fighter?
In the aquarium for the fighter there should be a biological filter that will purify the water of toxic substances.
Time for a few more tips.
- Theoretically, these valiant fish do not need any substrate. However, its presence will help in additional water filtration. Choose a porous substrate.
- Plants are a very important element of an aquarium with fighters. They serve as shelter and will also be indispensable during reproduction. It is in them that the male builds a foam nest.
- Due to their presence in the aquarium, proper lighting is necessary. Biologically, it is not needed by fighters, but plants do need it.
- Also make sure that the aquarium is covered.
Water in the aquarium for the fighter
You must know that the tank is to be inhabited by thermophilic fish:
- the appropriate temperature should be between 25 and 28 degrees Celsius. Temporarily animals may stay in slightly cooler water, but it should never be below 22 degrees;
- fighters like water with a pH of 6 to 7.8;
- lighting should be cyclical. These fish naturally live in rather calm water bodies, so it is best to provide them with light currents in the aquarium.
Siamese fighting fish – proper nutrition
Improper nutrition of a fighter may not only lead to disorders in his development, but also to problems with coloration. A correct diet is therefore very important, but it will not be a problem to compose it.
What to serve the fighters?
Siamese fighting fish are carnivores and in their natural environment eat mainly mosquito larvae and small crustaceans. It is worth choosing balanced dried food for them and supplementing it with frozen and live food. Fish also absorb nutrients directly from the water, so take an interest in nutrients and vitamin supplements.
Like all fish, these cannot be overfed. This can lead to many diseases that can even lead to death.
Siamese fighting fish, like all fish, can develop dangerous diseases. This species is primarily exposed to:
- water ascites;
- fin necrosis;
- skin tumors.
Without proper treatment, most of the conditions listed above are fatal. There are many different reasons for getting sick. Some diseases, such as skin tumors, are genetic. However, most of them result from the presence of parasites or – unfortunately – inadequate conditions in which the fighter resides.
Fight for the health of the fighters!
Treatment must be case-specific. When something is wrong with your fish, be sure to contact an experienced breeder. Fighters can be healed and must be done. Sometimes it is enough to raise the temperature of the water and add a medicinal preparation to it.
Fighters – price
The price of a fighter is a very individual matter. It all depends on what source your fish will come from. The cheapest option is exchanges with other aquarists who often advertise on local groups and portals. There, young fish can be bought for as little as PLN 10.
Is it worth buying fighters in pet stores?
Fighters sold in pet stores usually cost between 30 and 50 zlotys. Unfortunately, these fish are stored and transported in very bad conditions, which is why they are often seriously ill at the beginning of their lives.
Purebred fighters bought from professional breeders cost from 70 to even 150 zlotys. Females and young and less interestingly colored fish are cheaper.
Fighters – summary
Siamese fighting fish are popular aquarium fish. They are beautiful and relatively easy to breed. Under no circumstances, however, can they live in balls or jars. The minimum aquarium for a fighter should be 10 liters. You need to filter the water in the tank and keep it at the right temperature and acidification.
Siamese fighting fish are undoubtedly beautiful fish that have a fascinating disposition. They can live in species or social aquariums. They need an aquarium with lush vegetation and periodic lighting. If you take care of them properly, they will decorate your home for many years.